Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bodies that hold space...





Most of my drawings show the full body, head to toe, volumetrically rendered. I once had a great professor who said something along the lines of “You want your drawings to look plastic, like you could reach into the picture frame and grab an arm or a leg and manipulate it…” That may be taking it a bit far, but I do draw with the goal of making bodies that look solid, as if they hold real space. No one trick achieves this illusion; it is a combination of pushing value, using hints of perspective, and editing out “flattening” details that may confuse the eye.

1 comment:

  1. I discovered you by accident in my daily obsessive dig for art... i am a tattoo artist (age 48 newark, nj) in late career who has an art background, and am planning a transition to painting... thus i am busy drawing, and doing throw away painting in preparation for when that day presents itself.

    please, what do you mean by *flattening* details? could you cite a few examples?

    what do you think of kent williams' loose drawing style?

    that continual motion exercise looks like it would be hard yet fun, and i already try it in my own version in the park (mainly because my subjects don't sit still). *)

    I am captivated by your drawing style. it has such a lively combination of exactitude and looseness that i strive for in my own work. it has magic.

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete