Friday, February 24, 2012

Report from Los Angeles

This week I am away from the studio and attending the College Art Association Conference in Los Angeles. Activities include catching up with old friends, enjoying overpriced but tasty Mexican food, and attending interesting panels on a variety of art related subjects. And I'm also getting more involved with the ever excellent group, Queer Caucus for Art (more on this later...)

As with all conferences though, I have managed a bit of time to sneak away and take in the local scenery. This included a wandering ramble through the skyscrapers of downtown LA, where I happened upon the Central Public Library. An imposing Art Deco facade conceals many wonders including a series of murals jumbling together important moments from California history and a giant globe-light chandelier. It also has a gift shop where I bought this little treasure, "Weird and Wonderful: Discoveries from the Mysterious World of Forgotten Children's Books." How have I lived for so long without this lovely volume at my side. Hours of enjoyment await...

No comments:

Post a Comment