Sunday, January 15, 2012

Work in Progress

Starting some new work in the studio this week... and thought I would document one of these pieces from start to finish. The first image is my initial sketch / idea development for the drawing. Some reference photos for the drawing's main subject matter (the chubby cherub vs. the battered saint) are taped to the wall off to the left. Possible collage material is mingling into the composition on the bottom, and there's some very faint line work in the center. The next image is after a few more hours of sketching and contemplation. The cherub and the saint are now firmly in place and I've shifted the arc above the cherubs head (I almost always start pieces off by responding to found objects or found imagery, and that flattened rusted piece of metal is the true origin for this piece). Also, I know there needs to be some sort of secondary arc-like form to breaking the rectangle on the upper left. For now I'm just using bend coat hangers to test out the idea.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to watching these emerge.

    You know the next step will be time-lapse video...

    ReplyDelete