Monday, July 15, 2013

Big Untitled Thing! (in progress)

So here is a really big thing that I started last week in my studio.

I refer to it as a "really big thing" (rather than just a large drawing or a new piece...) because it is indeed quite large and indeed quite "thing-like", in that I really have no idea where it is going yet. This "thing" originated from a desire to burn through some old materials; I had the final remnants of a large roll of heavy drawing paper and I knew that I wanted to use it immediately. I also had some vague imagery ideas about swamp tress and heads hanging off tree limbs like heavy fruit, which needed to get out of my peripheral imagination and onto a page somewhere. 

The following photos show the first pass at playing with these materials and ideas. The entire paper measures about 4' X 8', and the drawing is all just in graphite of various strengths and qualities (8B, 6B, and 4B pencils, graphite crayons, etc.)

Look for more updates soon as to what the really big thing morphs into. I am secretly hoping that in the dark of night it grows a few extra limbs, crawls away into the local sewer system, and starts a new life as Charlotte's local version of Phantom of the Opera...






No comments:

Post a Comment