Sunday, July 28, 2013

My installation for "Studio Party 13"

These photos show how I set up my McColl Center studio for the huge "Studio Party" fundraiser last April. This was the first big event of the residency season and all the artists-in-residence were encouraged to decorate their spaces as lavishly as possible. In keeping with the 2013 Studio Party theme "Magical Mystery Tour", we each chose a Beatles song to work with. Mine was "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", which I translated into building a rather large "tangerine tree" in one corner (complete with a day-glo painting of a floating eyeball on black velvet) and lots of pink and fuchsia - marmalade walls. It was pretty intense color-wise, everything had sort of a rosy glow under the spotlights, and I was happy that it all felt very trippy without being too visually obnoxious.

I hung the long wall salon-style with a broad collection of older work from the past decade or so of my studio practice. As a interesting side note, this temporary installation gave me the opportunity to sit back and look at a rather eclectic bunch of drawings, sketches, prints, and other odds and sods that normally live in storage, and see the commonalities and deviations among them. The whole thing was a nice exercise in personal critique, to look back over the past decade of studio production and just swim around in the various visual themes and formal tendencies that keep popping up seemingly subconsciously, again and again and again...





No comments:

Post a Comment