Sunday, July 28, 2013

The ever changing studio walls...

As I was emptying out my camera today, I found some photos of earlier studio set-ups from the start of my McColl Center residency, and I realized I had not yet posted images of other studio installations on the blog. So here are the previous two iterations of painted walls and display Studio 219 has gone through so far since April. 

Below are some pics of the May-June installation in my studio space, which focused on life drawing and a couple of larger figurative works. I filled the long wall with life drawings from the past five years or so; all are either simple graphite or charcoal on paper sketches, and the average size is a standard 18" X 24"sheet. Most of these are from longer pose drawings, taking on average between 45 minutes to an hour to complete.

On the shorter, greener wall are two pieces from the "Corsage" series I was working on in 2009 -2010. Each of these started as a large, long session life drawing (about three hours with one model in one pose...) and were then embellished and manipulated with acrylic washes, adhesive vinyl, ink, and last but not least, lots and lots of artificial flowers, sewn directly on to the drawing surface. Also of note, the "Corsage" series drawings are not on paper, they are on Yupo, a synthetic plastic-like watercolor paper that has since become a studio staple.








No comments:

Post a Comment